Cold is one of the most common appearances in kids. This viral infection that affects the upper respiratory tract is caused by Rhinovirus and is very difficult to prevent. Luckily, this disease is not dangerous. With the right amount of love and remedies, you can get your child back doing all the mischief and turning you nuts.
Symptoms generally include blocked nose, cough, aches and loss of appetite etc. that turn your kid restless. Many parents make the mistake of heading straight to the pharmacy whenever they see their child’s red cheeks and running nose. Pediatricians opine that over-the-counter medications to treat coughs and colds aren’t safe for children under 2 and may harm children under 6.
Above all, what is the need of going to the pharmacy when you can get rid of your child’s cold from your home itself? There are many gentle, effective, and safe home remedies you may try out to shorten your child’s illness make him/her feel better. Plus they have very few chances of causing side-effects.
Below are some of the easiest and effective home remedies worth trying to help your kid relief from cold and cough.
1. Raise your child’s head with the help of towels or pillows while resting. If your child is over a year old, an extra pillow under her head will be perfect. If he/she is a restless sleeper, raise the head of the mattress instead.
2. Let your baby take as much rest as he/she can take. Let them relax and relive all kind of pressure. This is another reason for their illness. Resting helps your child get back all the energies she needs to fight off her symptoms. If your child is the restless kind, take her out in the sun and set up a comfortable place on the lawn or balcony so that she may rest.
3. A warm bath will help your child relax. This is because scientifically speaking, breathing moist or humid air helps loosen the mucus in the nose and help him/her feel relaxed. A humidifier, steamer or a cool-mist vaporizer will do the trick. You may also add a few drops of menthol, eucalyptus, or pine oil to the bath water (or vapouriser/steamer).
4. Take a few leaves of tulsi and powdered cardamom and boil it with water. When the water is reduced to half add sugar and milk and let your child drink in short intervals. Tulsi or Holy Basil acts as a very good cold treating agent.
5. Take some jaiphal/nutmeg powder, saffron and few drops of water to make a paste. Now evenly spread on the forehead of your kid. The paste has the property to soak up all the cold.
6. Take 5tsp of water with a pinch of salt. Now heat a plan to a high temperature, put off gas and pour the mix prepared over the hot pan and wait till the spluttering stops. After you are done, add a few drops of ghee and give your child in a temperature he/she can manage.
7. Honey is an age old natural remedy to treat sore throat and cough. For 1 to 5 years old kids 1/2 teaspoon of honey at a time during the day will be enough and for the ones between 6 and 11 years old, 1 teaspoon will be required. Also sterilize baby bottles to keep them away from germs.
8. Use neti pots. They are easily available in the chemist shops and ayurvedic stores. They moisturize the area and thins, loosens, and rinses away mucus. Fill the pot with warm saline water and tilt your child’s head sideways over the sink. Place the spout of the pot in the top nostril and the water flow. Do not forget to tell your kid to breathe through the mouth through the procedure.
9. If your kid is 4 years and above, gargling with salt water is one of the age old and most effective way to get rid of sore throat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and let your child gargle. If he/she does not like the taste, a squirt or two of fresh lemon juice can be added as flavor.
10. Take some ajwain and salt and heat it on a pan. Check the temperature and wrap the mix on a cloth. It should be tolerable. Apply it on chest, back, forehead and behind the ears 2-3 times a day. Keep the hot mixture under the crib after application. It will help your child in easy breathing.
Read the other Related Tips for Baby
Effective ways to protect your child healthy in changing weather
Whenever there is a weather change there are chances for adults to fall sick due to viral infections. You can take some precautions to prevent yourself and your baby from getting sick.
Check out these simple tips to Know Health Benefits of Almond Milk for Babies
Read these easy home remedies to stop Loose motions or Diarrhea in infants and kids. Check our complete guide on home remedies for loose motions in baby.